Wednesday, February 22, 2006

One difference between Serbia and Montenegro is that Montenegro uses the Euro as its official currency. Serbia uses the Dinar. Montenegro is not part of the EU—they simply elected to make the Euro their currency several years ago. I find that most prices are generally very high compared to the U.S. I bought two medium-sized bananas at the market and paid about 51 Euro cents; that’s about .63US. A small sum for me but a middle class Montenegrin family of four might be living on a monthly income of between 500-1,000 Euros per month. One of the challenges for many transitional countries is the foster an economic, social and political climate that will lead to the development of a substantial middle class. It is the middle class--or the ability to live as part of the middle class--that has enabled the U.S. to prosper.

Most people can remember reading the description of the Balkans as “the powder keg of Europe” in a history book. Turkey conquered and held this part of the world for 400 years and only departed about 115 years ago. The Turkish influence, introduction of Muslim religion and subtle ethnic rivalries are reasons for the wars and genocide in the 1990s. Kosovo is still under United Nations control.

Why am I here? And, did I pick this place? I’m here with a Fulbright Research and Lecturing appointment at the Faculty of Law, School of Political Science and Journalism. It’s a long story as to how we finally worked out the arrangement for me to be here. I am teaching a class at Bradley University this semester (COM 415 Global Media) via videoconference. My wish would also be that I could establish a link with my students at University of Montengro and at Bradley so that both groups might know more about the world in which the other live. I've attempted to start this process by giving the students at both schools an assignment to exchange information via email.

No comments: